restaurant review #136 – The Gate is vegetarian restaurant in London. It has three locations: one in Islington, one in Hammersmith, and one in Marylebone, which is the one we went to.
View this post on Instagram
Very nice dinner at The Gate! #london Vegetarian restaurant with vegan options. Review will follow on 🌿🌿 brugesvegan.com 🌿🌿 #veganlondon #london #gastronomic #vegansofig #vegansofbelgium #gastronomical #culinairy #seymourplace #restaurant #vegan #vegetarianrestaurant #thegatelondon @gaterestaurant
The Gate in Marylebone is located in a calm street, quite a contrast with the hustle and bustle of nearby Oxford Street. It has a large terrace in front, and two restaurants rooms (one on ground floor, and one in basement). It is a more fancy, ‘restaurant like’ place, with gastronomic creations.
Vegan options are clearly indicated on the menu. The winelist also mentions which drinks are vegan.
This is what we had for dinner:
- Artichoke terrine, £8, truffle & hazelnut infused artichoke, homemade sundried tomato & basil salsa, crispy bread
- Tofu Tikka, £7,5, marinated smoked tofu in tikka spices with chana salsa made of Kalamata olives, shallot , tomatoes, roast pepper & coriander & harissa
- Shiitaki ginger Gyoza £14, traditional stuffed dumpling, sweet potato purée, sauté greens, teriyaki sauce, toasted cashews
- Rotolo, £15,50, pommes dauphinoises filled with North African style vegetables & chickpeas, served with raw cauliflower couscous, pickled lemon & coriander salsa
- Strawberry eaton mess, £7, British strawberries with vegan meringue & chantilly cream
- Soft cappuccino cheesecake, £7, coffee flavoured vegan cheesecake with a hazelnut base & mocha cream
We absolutely loved the food! Delicious, lovely combinations, and nicely presented. The meringue in the eaton mess (made from aquafaba) was perfectly crispy!
Service was very friendly, although very ‘rushed’. We had hardly started our aperitif (a small amuse geule to go along with that would have been nice) and the appetizer was already served! The main course and dessert also followled very rapidly. It felt as though they wanted us out of the restaurant as quickly as possible (although the restaurant was not even half full, so there was plenty of room for later bookings).
Other than than the restaurant atmosphere was calm, and nicely decorated. The bench against the wall was comfortable, chairs were simple wooden chairs though (hard).
All in all: a lovely dinner, pity about the rushed service!
The Gate, at Marylebone, location
22-24 Seymour Place, London, Marylebone
W1H 7NL London, UK
Tel: 020 7724 6656