I have been contemplating this for a while, but decided to finally add stars to the restaurant reviews on The Bruges Vegan.
In favour of adding stars:
- It is an easy way to give an ‘overall’ impression of a restaurant
- I can add it to the title of the restaurant review, so that immediately gives you an indication of our experience (either good or bad).
Against adding stars:
- I find it difficult to score on a 5 star scale (but halves would complicate it too much)
- I feel al lot of places will fall in the 3 to 4 category
- People might only judge by the given star, and not read the review anymore (if they ever did 😉 )
- A score is a medium of different aspects: food, comfort, service, hygiene, opening hours, etc. Foodwise it might be a 5 star, but comfortwise it might only be a 1 star, so that levels the score.
- My rating may change over time, as my assessment also evolves the more restaurants I frequent over the years (to say it blunt: in the beginning I would have easily given any restaurant that just offers vegan options, a 5 for effort, but there’s more to it than that, and over the years I have become more critical)
I have taken a 5 star scale, and based the qualifications for those stars on those used on Happy Cow and Tripadvisor.
|dislike it, horrible|
|not so good, needs improvement|
|moderate, fair, good|
I will be gradually adding stars to past reviews (as there are now more than 100 restaurant reviews, this might take me a while!). I have also added 5 tags with the respective stars, so readers can easily get an overview of all 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 star reviews on the blog.
Overview restaurants with 1 star
Overview restaurants with 2 stars
Overview restaurants with 3 stars
Overview restaurants with 4 stars
Overview restaurants with 5 stars
See also my post “A word or two about our restaurant reviews“.